Third time is the charm, friends! So, I am using the chart from the kit, subbed DMC and antique white monoco for the floss and fabric, respectively. I restarted and gave it 4 days effort in April.
I finished the first 2 columns down to the midpoint, and most of the third column. What's undone in the third column are over 1 sections, and blended floss (with filament)... I didn't feel like getting into the fiddly stuff and I intend to stitch all the 2 over 2 before doing the 1 over 1 sections. It's about 2,000 stitches. I also got a tiny start on the 4th column.
I'm pleased with it now. I won't finish this year but hopefully I can finish at least 25%.